Each year, PEEC awards small cash prizes to science fair projects that we feel are good examples of research related to the natural world around us.
- Joe Abeyta & Adrian Abeyta,
The Effects on Water Quality Before and After the Las Conchas Fire
- Kelsey Decker,
Bird Feeding Habits and Temperature Variation
- Phillip Heikoop,
Investigating Post-Las Conchas Fire Erosion
- Jordan Bailey,
How Does your Rooftop Garden Grow?
- Hannah Clegg,
Why are Some Soils Better Than Others
- Mikala Bucklin,
Everything it Takes to Have a Windmill
- Gopal Nadiga,
Splitters: Using Seed to Split Rock
- Joe Abeyta,
Indicators of Otter Population in Northern New Mexico
- Jovan Zhang,
- Derek Selvage,
Crack the Egg Secrets
- Katherine Wang,
The Ants Came Marching Down...
- Ruby Selvage,
Composting Sunchips Bags
- Bryce Gentile,
Solar Water Heater
- Joshua Strevell,
Cool Roof Cool House? Effect of Roof Reflectivity
- Joe Abeyta and Nathan Clements "Crayfish Populations in Comparison to Water Quality"
- Daniel Ahrens "The Effect of a Difference in the Circadian Rhythms on the Behaviors of Insects"
- Olivia Snyder "X-Frogs: Does Pond Water Pollution Affect Some Frogs?"
- Aniruddha Nadiga "A Statistical Analysis of Temperature Data of Two American Cities"
- Mrs. Altherr's class at Mountain School "To Mow or Not to Mow"
- Ms. Patterson's Class, Mountain School "Critter Condos"
- Junseo Kim "What Temperature Would a Collared Lizard Like?"
- Nathan Clements "Fishing Pressure on Trout Populations in Northern New Mexico Streams and Lakes"
- Daniel Ahrens "Does Noise Pollution Bug Insects?"
- Jenna Erickson "Traveling Turtles"
- Amanda Mercer "Should you Change your Bulbs?"
- Mrs. Altherr's class at Mountain School "Snail Response to Stimuli"
- Rebecca Davis "Butterfly or Moth?"
- Isabelle Runde "How Picky is Algae About Its Water?"
- Lily Fehler, 9th grade, "The Effects of Tree Thinning
Practices on the Stability of Ponderosa Pine"
- Joe Abeyta, 8th grade, "Has Los Alamos Learned its Lesson" (tree density in fuel mitigation areas)
- Hannah Purtymun, Mountain 6th grade, "Does Limestone Change
the Way Acid Rain Affects Pine Trees"
- Emma Lathrop, Aspen 6th grade, "Acid Rain Go Away"
- Aril Nadiga, Mountain 5th grade, "Too Close for Comfort" (worm crowding)
- Emily Gustavsen, Chamisa 5th grade, "Waste Not Want Not" (shower head water use)
- Nate Bublitz, Chamisa 5th grade, "Does the Beak Choose the Menu"
- Stoyana Alexandrova & Iliana Alexandrova, 11th grade, "E. coli in Hostile Environments"
- Emily Powell, 12th grade, "Mushrooms and Toxins"
Jinhie Skarda, 6th grade, "Would You Drink This?"
Nate Clements, 7th grade, "A Comparison of Soil Microbes in New Mexico"
Holly Erickson, 6th grade, "Miraculous Moringa: The Natural Water Purifier"
Kristin Funston,5th grade, "Trees Built for Snow"
Emma Lathrop, 5th grade, "At What Temperature Do the Birds in My Backyard Eat"
Anna Zerkle, 5th grade, "What is the Best Environment for Earthworms"
- Anna Trugman, 11th Grade, "Solar engineering of Pogonomyrmex Harvester Ants"
Tom Witherell, 10th Grade, "The Effects of Car Exhaust on Plant Growth"
Aubrie Powell, 8th Grade, "Fire and Earth"
Emily Funsten, 6th Grade, "Dense Forests: the Competition for Sunlight"
Sophie Click, 6th Grade, "Pollution Solution"
Toni Batha, 5th Grade, "The Magic of Worms"
Bryce Theesfeld, 5th Grade, "Effects of Water Usage on Lake Powell's Water Level"
Thomas Mosier, 4th Grade, "Will the Seeds Grow?"
- Samantha Stutz, 11th Grade, "Post-Forest Fire Hydrology"
Anna Trugman, 10th Grade, "Bird Response in Recovering Habitats"
Lily Fehler, 6th Grade, "How Do Beaches Change Over Time?"
Madison Brandt, 6th Grade, "Should You Drink or Soak?"
Dennis Trujillo, 5th Grade, "Purifying Water"
Nate Clements, 5th Grade, "Bending Plants"
- Samantha Stutz, 10th Grade, "Pinon Trees - The Next Generation"
Cameron Ott, 8th Grade, "The Rate That Standing Burned Trees Fall After a Forest Fire"
Jonathan Thoma, 7th Grade, "Are Your Trees a Savior or a Danger?"
Alyson Richmond, 6th Grade, "Tree Rings"
Petey Priedhorsky, 4th Grade, "Hummingbirds: Their Favorite Color"
- Anna Trugman, 8th Grade, "A Non-Linear Bug's Life"
Christopher Alme, "Migratory Bird Model"
Sarah Story, "How Does Acid Rain Affect Cell Structure"
Oliver Funsten, "Off Center Tree Rings"
Emily TenCate, "Leaky Faucets Waste Lots!"